- This event has passed.
31 Aug-1 Sep Paddlesport Instructor Award course
August 31 – September 1
The British Canoeing Paddlesport Instructor qualification is for people aged 14+ whose main focus of work is delivering paddlesport taster/starter sessions within clubs, centres or other organisations. The qualification is not discipline specific and is suitable for instructors who work with paddlers from any of the competitive and non-competitive paddlesport disciplines.
The Paddlesport Instructor is an entry-level qualification, achieved on a 2-day course, designed for:
- Instructors in clubs;
- Instructors for providers/centres who offer paddlesport activity; and
- Instructors within schools, DofE, Youth Groups, Uniformed Groups, etc.
The qualification will support the instructor with practical skills such as kitting up a group and getting afloat, initial familiarisation activities, games and activities to support learning and how to use mini journeys to support learning, inspire adventure and exploration. This will be enhanced with support on how these sessions can be delivered in a way that is enjoyable, safe and rewarding.
The Paddlesport Instructor qualification is designed for instructors running paddlesport taster/starter sessions within the safety management systems of clubs, centres or other organisations in:
- Very Sheltered Water environments (including canals); and
- Craft deemed suitable for a first-time experience (kayak, open canoe, sit on top, or stand up paddleboard)
The process of completing the qualification aims to help prepare candidates for their first paddlesport instructing role; ‘primed and ready’.
Cost £120 per person (non-residential).
Candidates need to:
- be aged 14 or over;
- be members of Canoe Wales / British Canoeing (etc.);
- register for the Award with Canoe Wales / British Canoeing (etc.) – cost £45;
- have attended a British Canoeing Foundation Safety and Rescue Training (FSRT) course – which I can arrange if necessary; and
- have personal paddling (equivalent to the former 2*-level) and rescue competence in one type of craft (kayak, open canoe, sit on top, or stand up paddleboard).